Sunday, March 18, 2012

Creation Sunday - Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Today Hillary wanted to continue talking about the things she made around Christmas time and share one of her favorite recipes.

As, I'm sure, you're well aware, I love my banana crunch muffins and think they are about the most perfect food on earth.  However, my husband would beg to differ.  I think that true muffins should taste hearty and flavorful but not too sweet.  He thinks that muffin=cake that you eat for breakfast.  One day when I was searching for ways to use up bananas turning brown on my counter (other than making muffins that only one person in the house would eat), I came across Noble Pig's Recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip muffins.  I tried them and they are amazing.  They are every bit as decadent and addictive as she says, and my husband loves them.

Normally, the only modification I make is that I add a tablespoon of honey into the batter (it adds a little flavor and helps keep the muffins moist over time).  If I am feeling adventurous (or not feeling like searching for the brown sugar), I might use turbinado instead of brown sugar.  But, up until Christmas, those were the only modifications I had ever tried.  The recipe is truly amazing as is.

In my family, we eat on Christmas Eve and then eat a big, fancy breakfast on Christmas day. I am usually in charge of muffins.  I usually do at least 2 different types of muffins so that everyone at the table has something that meets their tastes.  This year, I did clementine/orange muffins for those of us who like something different and Noble Pig's Muffins for those at the table who like cake for breakfast.  I was just going to make what I normally do until I realized that I had some extra special things in my pantry that I could add in. 

The muffin recipe itself remained as above.  Instead of just the chocolate chips, I added in about 1/3rd bag of each of the following: peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and reese's mini's.  These were the ultimate decadent breakfast food and they received many accolades from hubby and all of my family. I will definitely make them this way again.  One little thing I learned when making these this Christmas is don't turn them into banana bread... the outside will be overcooked before the middle is done.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe.  Stay tuned for more awesome interviews and updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment