Sunday, November 6, 2011

Creation Sunday - More Pumpkin

Today, Hillary thought she would continue the pumpkin trend that she started last week.

 Todays "Creation Sunday" is going to be a gem of a recipe I found many years ago that somehow manages to make biscuits with minimal fat!  These pumpkin biscuits are super easy, easy to tweak to your liking and extremely tasty.

Here's the base recipe.  I don't actually tweak these very much.  Instead of the 1 Tbl of water, I add 1 Tbl each of honey and molasses because of the hygroscopic factor that we talked about in the banana muffin post and to add a little more sweetness.  I also add a pinch of salt and a touch of vanilla to every baked good I make because it helps bring out flavors more.  Sometimes I use turbinado sugar instead of straight brown sugar and sometimes I use pancake mix instead of Bisquick (I add a touch more leavening in this case), but all work equally well.

The first time I made these, I added some chopped dates for additional sweetness and flavor.  The most recent incarnation had no dates, but had some bitter orange liqueur (I used Patron Citronge) added for a little more "brightness" in the flavor.  I also served the most recent version with some awesome homemade maple butter (sometimes I split and scrape a vanilla bean into this, but the recipe is awesome on it's own).

The great thing about this pumpkin biscuit recipe is you can tweak it quite a bit to match your tastes.  I make it sweeter, but you could easily leave the extra sweeteners out.  Personally, if I wanted to make it less sweet, I would use 3 tablespoons of light brown sugar and a tablespoon of molasses or honey (trust me, the extra moisture makes a much bigger difference than you would think) and leave out the vanilla and/or liqueur.  In this case, you might need to add some of the water called for, but probably not all (this biscuit dough is usually a little on the mushy side until I roll it out with the flour as called for).

Now that I've started thinking about savory muffins, I wonder what this would taste like with no pumpkin pie spice (maybe a little cumin instead) and some fresh sage or rosemary... or some pumpkin pie spice but also some garam masala...
Hmm...I may have to try this and report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment