Sunday, October 30, 2011

Creation Sunday - "Fruit Puree" Muffins part 2 - PUMPKIN!

Today, for "Creation Sunday", Hillary is continuing her 3 part series on variations on a muffin recipe.

In last Week's Creation Sunday, I talked about my favorite Banana Muffin recipe and the minor tweaks I make to take it from awesome to "totally out of this world".  This week, We will take that same base recipe and create a great fall favorite - Pumpkin Muffins!

For our pumpkin muffins, we'll start with the same base recipe, which can be found here on the Post website. Again, my modifications generally follow the rules I set out in my cookie post. You're not going to believe how easy it is to turn these from a bright, summery banana muffin into an earthy fall pumpkin treat.

Here are the changes I make:
-Like with my Banana Muffin recipe, I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular flour.
-I add a good dash of pumpkin pie spice (or something equivalent) in with the dry ingredients.
-I use turbinado sugar instead of white sugar.
-I substitute pumpkin puree for the Bananas.  1&1/4 cups should be about right based on the number of bananas called for.  One small Banana is about 1/2 cup so 2 medium sized ones would be a little more than a cup.
-I add approx 1 tbl of molasses in with the wet ingredients.
-The one time I made these, I used low fat sour cream, but I would think that yogurt or any of the other substitutions I mentioned last week would be fine.

-I substitute Kashi Go Lean Crunch for the cereal.


Again, since this recipe is fairly low in fat, it cannot be made into pumpkin bread as the middle will not cook all the way. 

Yep, the changes are that simple.  If you think that's cool, wait 'til you see the blueberry muffin recipe!  That post may take a little longer, because I think the recipe might need the tiniest bit of tweaking, but it will absolutely be worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment