Friday, October 14, 2011

Interview with Bre of Breekola on Etsy

Today We are featuring an interview with Bre of Breekola on etsy.  Bre Is a talented quilling artist, fabric artist and all around Jack of all crafty trades. We were glad she took some time out of her day to answer our questions. 


First, Tell us about your history with arts and crafts.
I was your normal little girl growing up with dolls, playing dress-up and and playing with make-up but my mother told me I was happier when I had fresh paper, markers, and paint. When I was three years old, mom put me in ballet so I also have a history with the performing arts. I remember mom sewing my outfits, costumes, drapes and curtains when I was very young. I knew I wanted to do creative things as well. I started taking art classes for my electives in high school and had a few pieces featured in local art shows. I graduated with art awards and when I went off to college, I knew fine art had to be my major.
Much like too many others, I dropped out knowing I did not want any student loans once I reached the end. I started working full time at a desk job and sort of got off track from from art. Not only was I working 40 hours a week in an office but I was also teaching dance for 15-20 hours as well. I put art on the back burner in hopes that one day I would have more time.
Finally, a few years ago, I decided that I must make time to do crafty things because my need to feel creative was growing stronger and stronger and I felt that my skills were getting weaker so I focused on hand-made gifts for family and friends. My best friend and I decided to have craft nights once a week to get our creative juices flowing and to stock up on items to give away for mother's day, birthdays, christmas, etc...
Before I knew it I had a huge collection of things I had made. Paintings, flower pots, jewelry, decoupaged goods, and my living room was starting to look like a craft haven.

 How did you settle on your current art form? 
I am not sure that I have settled just yet as I find that I love so many mediums in the art and craft world. I tend to knit more in the fall and winter months then decoupage or paint in the spring and summer months. My paper flowers started when I received the most beautiful bamboo vase as a gift and decided I couldn't just put it away when there weren't any flowers in it. I saw some really cute flowers and gift toppers made from newspapers in a craft magazine.. The wheels were in motion right then and there so I sat down to try my hand at it and found different techniques that worked for me and put more of my self into how they would look. Before the flowers, I had made a couple mirrors (one is in my shop at the moment, I sold the other one) using recycled wine crates and magazine paper for beads. I am always trying to find other ways to use magazines or upcycling other resources to create beautiful art pieces. I learned how to fold origami kusudama flowers a while ago and fell in love with the idea of making those from magazine pages. I can't wait to find other uses for them.. I'm constantly learning and putting my own twist on different ideas.

Do you feel that the different forms of art you have done have influenced each other? 
Oh sure but it also depends on the medium I guess. It all comes down to your personality that you have in one piece that more than likely will carry on to the next.

What do you hope to do with your art? 
I would love to one day be able to make a living by my creations, I know it takes a lot of time and work. But I have been happy to just give away my hand-made items as gifts. If that's all that I do with it, I'll be just as happy.
What do you hope that your art does for others? Nothing makes me happier than seeing other people smile or laugh and I would love to know that anything I've put time and heart into brings joy to them. That sounds so sappy but it's the honest truth. It's all about the little things in life to me, that's what's important. If a little decoupaged trinket, knit beanie, or paper flower makes someone's life a little brighter and makes them smile, I've done something right.

If there is one thing you could tell other artists out there, what would it be? 
Do at least one creative thing every single day. Big or small, it doesn't matter but if you have those days where there is so much going on, don't beat yourself up. Don't get too lazy with it because your arts and crafts won't sell themselves and they certainly can't get out there for the world to see on their own. Find something that makes you happy and become a master at it. Keep on keepin' on...
And finally, Where can we find you and your art? 
I live in Huntsville, AL and would eventually love to sell some of my things at local craft shows or independent shops but for now, Since I work two jobs, it looks like my art can only be found here in my etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment