Sunday, March 4, 2012

Creation Sunday - Fruit Puree Muffins Part 3: Clementine/Orange

Today, for "Creation Sunday", Hillary is continuing her 4 part series on variations on a muffin recipe. It was originally going to be a 3 part series with blueberry being the final recipe, but she says the blueberry recipe is still a work in progress.  In the meantime, she found a way to make yet another variation.

In a Creation Sunday, many moons ago, I started a series on fruit puree muffins which began with my favorite Banana Muffin recipe,  This week, We will take that same base recipe and create a unique muffin with a twist - clementine/orange.  This recipe happened when I went to make my pumpkin muffins for our special Christmas day breakfast and I realized that all the cans of pumpkin I had just bought were bad.

For our clementine muffins, we'll start with the same base recipe, which can be found here on the Post website. Again, my modifications generally follow the rules I set out in my cookie post.

Here are the changes I make:
-Like with my Banana Muffin recipe, I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular flour.
-I added a good dash of pumpkin pie spice (or something equivalent) in with the dry ingredients.
-I used turbinado sugar instead of white sugar.
-I substituted a cup of a combination of clementine zest, fresh clementines and orange juice in place of the bananas.
-I added approx 1 tbl of honey in with the wet ingredients.
-I used orange yogurt instead of regular yogurt.
-This time, I used Total Honey Almond Flax for the cereal.
-The batter seemed too wet, so I added about 1/3 C of quick oats.
Once the muffins were baked, I realized they were too dry, so I mixed up a quick batch of glaze based on the Glaze in this Lemon cake recipe, substituting orange juice for the lemon juice.

The verdict on Christmas day was that they were totally awesome and should appear on the table again. I was glad because the day before I was losing my mind over the fact that we might not have good muffins for Christmas day.

We Hope you enjoyed the recipe and hope to see you back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment