Monday, November 28, 2011

(Belated) Creation Sunday - The best Mac and Cheese Ever!

Yesterday, Hillary was recovering from a week long vvacation so she didn't get a post up. Today Hillary wanted to share with you her favorite mac&cheese recipe that she says has been a staple at every holiday meal for several years now.

The best mac&cheese I have ever made, and hands down my favorite mac&cheese to eat is made on the stove top.  Seriously.  When alton brown made it on his show, he said "you will never eat the stuff from the blue box again once you have this." And he was right.  Me and my husband swear by this recipe.

Of course, me being me, I make a few modifications, but these are simply a matter of personal preference and don't change anything major about the recipe:
I use 8 oz macaroni, a normal sized block of SHARP cheddar (orange or white both work fine), one egg, about 1/2 a can of evaporated milk, 2-4 tbl of butter (not margarine) and for spices/flavorings I only use salt, pepper and red pepper (cayenne or chili powder will do in a pinch).

If I want to make it healthier, I will use 2% evaporated milk, 1/2 a block of lowfat sharp cheddar cheese (I like Cabot's) and 1/2 a block of regular sharp cheddar of the same color.  It does change the taste a little, but not so much that it tastes like skim milk and plastic (if my husband will still eat it, it has to be good... he hates anything that tastes "lowfat" or "reduced calorie".

I have tried the original version with whole wheat pasta and it tasted good as well, but I haven't tried the lowfat with whole wheat.  Maybe I'll have to try that soon and let you know.

Thanks for visiting!  Tune in next week for another awesome "Creation Sunday", and look for the inevitable "after christmas" awesomeness because Hillary says she is creating some amazing things but can't talk about them until after the gifts have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment